Monday, October 22, 2012

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies - Stash away recipe

Yesterday I wanted some cookies. I kept putting it off because it's a pain to make them...I only have two cookie sheets and my favorite recipe uses 4. Then I started to think...what if I could only make one cookie sheet full of cookies at a time - like the Pillsbury cookie logs? That would be convenient. I wouldn't ever dream of using Pillsbury cookie logs for cookies - have you looked at the ingredients? Not only are there probably 50 ingredients on the label, but most of them I cannot pronounce. If I don't know what it is, it doesn't belong in my family's tummies.
What I did was make a whole batch of cookies with my favorite recipe, then I portioned off the dough into 4 equal parts. One of the parts I made into cookies. Then I made the other 3/4 of the recipe into 3 logs and stuck them in the freezer! I realize that many people probably do this already, but I was so excited that I had thought about it! I think it will save me time and money when the 'urge' to have some cookies. I can simply pull out a log and make just ONE sheet full. One cookie sheet of this recipe makes about 12 cookies - this is perfect for my family of 6 for a one meal batch.
making cookie dough for freezing

The below cookie recipe is my family's favorite (it's only THIS or No Bakes). I always use butter -never shortening. It's better for your body to digest and frankly...it tastes amazing!
Before you make them all into cookies, be sure to eat a few chunks of dough. OMGosh the dough is amazing. They won't flatten much because of the whole oats. I'm not sure if the quick oats would flatten more. I only use whole oats because that's what we eat for breakfast at least once a week.

The original recipe comes from my mom, who got it from an old cookbook from a local church. She adapted it to suit her and I have adapted it for my family and now for you!

making cookie dough for freezing

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe.
1 1/2 C Butter
2 1/2 C Sugar
1 T. Molasses
2 tsp. Vanilla
4 eggs (my homegrown eggs are between medium-large, but any size will do I think)
3 C White flour (unbleached is best)
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 C uncooked old fashioned whole oats (original recipe is 4 rounded cups quick oats)
12 oz chocolate chips
Optional nuts or dried fruit - mmm

Beat butter, sugar, molasses and vanilla until creamy. Beat in eggs. Mix flour, soda and salt in a bowl and add to creamed mixture (I don't do this...I just throw it all in after I have creamed the sugar and butter). Mix well. Stir in oats and and chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls (I use a small ice cream scoop that holds about 2 T at a time - works perfect) onto a cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes or just until set.
This recipe makes a very large batch. My Kitchenaid is completely full when I am mixing it up.
Makes 48-50 cookies or 4 cookie logs. I put 12 cookies on each cookie sheet and that is approximately what is in each log.

To make a cookie log, simply shape the dough into about an 8" long log shape. Wrap a piece of plastic wrap around the log. Place the wrapped log into a gallon size freezer bag. You could fit 4-6 logs in a freezer bag. Remove air from bag and label. Put in the freezer. Voila! You have healthy, delish & homemade cookie logs.

No comments:

Post a Comment